18 Wheeler Accident Attorney | Take Control Of Your Future After An 18-Wheeler Accident
18-wheeler accidents are some of the most dangerous types of truck crashes. They are large-scale collisions that occur when 18-wheeler trucks crash into each other, crash into large obstacles or crash into stationary vehicles. These accidents often result in injuries and fatalities. That’s why we’ve created an 18-wheeler accident guide for you. In this blog post, we will talk about 18-wheeler accidents and how they can affect you. We will also list steps you can take after an 18-wheeler accident to ensure optimal recovery and injury prevention.
The types of injuries one can suffer in an 18-wheeler accident
An 18-wheeler accident can be a devastating event resulting in serious injuries. These accidents involve large and heavy trucks, which can cause significant damage to smaller vehicles and result in severe injuries to the occupants of those vehicles. Here are some of the most common types of injuries that one can suffer in an 18-wheeler accident:
- Head and brain injuries are some of the most severe types of injuries one can suffer in a truck accident. A sudden impact can cause the brain to collide with the inside of the skull, resulting in concussions, traumatic brain injuries, and even permanent brain damage.
- Spinal cord injuries: Injuries to the spinal cord can lead to partial or complete paralysis, chronic pain, and even loss of bodily functions. These injuries can be caused by a sudden impact or by objects piercing through the body during the collision.
- Broken bones and fractures: The impact force in an 18-wheeler accident can cause bones to fracture, break, or even shatter. The severity of the injury can vary, with some fractures requiring surgical intervention to heal properly.
- Burns: If the accident causes a fire or explosion, the occupants of the vehicles involved can suffer severe burns. Burns can be painful and require a lengthy and costly recovery process.
- Cuts and lacerations: Broken glass, twisted metal, and other sharp objects can cause cuts and lacerations in an accident. These injuries can range from minor to severe, depending on the location and depth of the cut.
- Emotional trauma: Being involved in an 18-wheeler accident can be a traumatic experience, and it can cause emotional distress, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in the victims.
What to do if you are injured in an 18-wheeler accident
If you are involved in an 18-wheeler accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Check for injuries: Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident. If anyone is injured, call for medical help immediately.
- Move to a safe location: If it is safe, move your vehicle to the side of the road or a secure place. If your vehicle is disabled and cannot be moved, turn on your hazard lights and set up warning triangles or flares to alert other drivers.
- Seek medical attention: Your health and safety should be your top priority after an accident. Seek medical attention for any injuries, no matter how minor they may seem. Even if you feel okay, some injuries, such as whiplash, may not appear immediately. Make sure you get a thorough evaluation from a medical professional.
- Contact the police: Call the police and report the accident, even if the other driver wants to handle it without involving the authorities. The police report can be an important piece of evidence in your case.
- Gather information: Get the name, contact information, and insurance information of the other driver involved in the accident, as well as any witnesses. Take photos of the scene and the damage to your vehicle and any other property.
- Contact an attorney: Contact an experienced 18-wheeler accident attorney as soon as possible to help protect your rights and guide you through the legal process.
- Document your injuries and expenses: Keep a detailed record of your injuries, medical fees, and other expenses related to the accident, such as lost wages, transportation costs, and property damage.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions: Follow your doctor’s instructions for any medical treatment or rehabilitation, and attend all follow-up appointments.
How to Protect Your Legal Rights After an 18-Wheeler Accident
After an accident, you may be asked to provide statements to insurance companies or other parties involved. It is essential to avoid making statements without the guidance of your attorney, as any statements you make can be used against you later. Avoid signing documents from the other driver’s insurance company or their legal team without consulting with your attorney. These documents may contain language that could harm your case. It is a good idea to consult an experienced attorney who can guide and protect your legal rights. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process, negotiate with insurance companies, and fight for fair compensation for your injuries.
If you can, take photos of the accident scene, including the vehicles involved, property damage, and injuries. This evidence can help build your case later on. Collect the contact information of everyone involved in the accident, including the other driver, passengers, and witnesses. You should also collect the other driver’s insurance information and the vehicle’s license plate number. Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible, and be honest about what happened. Your insurance company will likely want to know the details of the accident and may conduct its investigation.
How to reduce your chances of being in an 18-wheeler accident?
One of the most significant risks of being in an 18-wheeler accident is that trucks have large blind spots. Stay in the truck driver’s line of sight as much as possible, and avoid driving in their blind spots. It is important to keep a safe distance from 18-wheelers as they have a much larger stopping distance than smaller vehicles. Avoid cutting in front of a truck and leave plenty of space between your vehicle and the truck. Large trucks move more slowly than other vehicles on the road, and patience is essential when sharing the road with them. Avoid rushing or attempting to pass the truck in a risky manner.
It is important to keep your vehicle well-maintained to avoid any mechanical failures that can lead to an accident. Ensure that your brakes, tires, and other critical components are in good condition. Distracted driving is a significant cause of all types of accidents, including 18-wheeler accidents. Avoid using your phone or any other device while driving, and keep your eyes on the road. Bad weather can make driving conditions hazardous and even more dangerous when sharing the road with large trucks. Reduce your speed and keep a safe distance from 18-wheelers during bad weather.
How to choose the right 18-wheeler accident attorney
Look for an attorney who has experience in handling 18-wheeler accident cases. These cases can be complicated, and it is essential to have an attorney who knows the intricacies of the law and how to handle these cases. Look at the attorney’s track record of success in handling 18-wheeler accident cases. Ask for references and read online reviews from their past clients to get a sense of their level of experience and success.
Most attorneys offer a free consultation to discuss your case and legal options. Use this opportunity to ask questions about their experience, track record, and resources, and get a sense of their communication style and how they plan to handle your case. Look for an attorney with a reputation for being honest, transparent, and straightforward with their clients. Choose an attorney who will keep you informed throughout the process and provide you with the guidance and support you need to make informed decisions.
Following an 18-Wheeler accident, taking action and ensuring that you are fully protected is important. By working with a qualified lawyer, you can take the necessary steps to protect your rights and ensure you receive the maximum compensation possible. At Morgan Legal Group, they understand the importance of taking control of your future after an accident and will work hard to help you navigate through the legal process and secure the best possible outcome. Contact them today to schedule a consultation if you have been injured in an 18 Wheeler accident. They would be happy to discuss your case with you and answer any questions you may have.